Thursday, September 3, 2009

Esscuse, what are you talking?


It's been a long week. The spouse has the day off tomorrow, and to douse my burning jealousy, it made me a steaming bowl of blueberry oatmeal. And I had a fantastic workout, so all is forgiven. Maybe I should eat some ice cream to reward my forgiveness. :P

I digress. Something very baffling happened today, and though it was a number of hours ago, my bafflement has not lessened. So, I take Bharatanatyam or South Indian Classical Dance lessons, and we finally finished a long piece we had been learning for the last 4-5 months. At the end of the lesson, my teacher was talking to us about the piece she's going to teach us next, and she mentioned that it was from a bunch of CDs I had written for her. Very proud and specialness feeling came.

But, that apart, a fellow student and friend was asking me about the piece today, and if I could send her a link so she could familiarize herself with the music. Only too happy to comply with this enthusiasm for knowledge, I dug up the link online, and sent it to her.

I'm assuming she listened to it, because she pinged me on Gtalk, and said - "It's so nice..I really wish the song were in Telugu so I could enjoy the words more." To which I responded - "Erm...the song IS in Telugu." Now, I'm no language snob, but when one doesn't recognize one's own mother tongue, it is baffling. She speaks Telugu, her family speaks Telugu, and she ain't even ABCD..so what's the excuse? Hell, my mother tongue isn't Telugu and I know what it sounds like.

Her next message, with tone of much embarrassment was "OMG, I'm so useless. Bad name for Telugu people everywhere." I politely refrained from agreeing. One point here is, the song's first word is 'Sarasijaakshulu'. I mean, which ullu doesn't know that any word that ends with ulu is probably Telugu? (Fine, I named the song only so I could make that joke). BUT, Somayajulu, Keshavulu yetcetra. are names we've all heard. Maybe Somayajulu is a bit more obscure, but ask anyone in Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Taylors Rd. Kilpauk, Madras if they've heard of Keshavulu. Go on, ask. And mind you, it's a BIG school. So, I'm therefore totally justified in saying that we have all heard that name.

Anyway, I then dug the lyrics and meaning up and e-mailed them to her, politely disguising it as an email to the whole group. She pinged me a while later..and said, "Oh yeah, now I'm reading the words, I can totally recognize them." Paravale, small mercies I tell you (or desperate attempt to save face). :P

Alright then, I'm off to catch an episode of Project Runway (so addicted to that show). I just realized, there's a long weekend coming up. OH YAY. See ya after. Goodnight Reader-gaarus! Have it one good weekendulu.

P.S. My friend has been such a great sport about me poking this bit of fun at her. She actually speaks really good Telugu. I only kid because I love! ;)

5 comments:

  1. I suggest you add the video here so all can enjoy the song :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @farustar - Seriously. He was the first person I thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny lady, funny blog:P But lets say that song wasn't really a good justification for your point! I asked two other telugu guys and they also found it hard to recognize it at first. It is just the accent and the words are difficult. Being said, that is a great song and I'm glad we are learning it:-) I also shared this funny story w/ many of my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sruj - You are such a sport. Love you! I tend to extrapolate situations to amuse. Kindly don't mind it!

    ReplyDelete