Thursday, October 15, 2009

Yam Yum!

Today was yet another gloomy, rainy, cold day and the lazy me wanted to cook something easy and spicy - what could be more easier than 2 Minute Maggi - it fit my plan just right! But something made me open my refrigerator and there I saw this huge golden brown Jicama( also known as Yam Bean). Once a seasonal winter item, it is now available pretty much year-round. Grown mostly in Mexico and South America, you can find them in the produce section of many markets. I had first tried this at my sister's place. I love anything crisp and crunchy and my brother- in-law served it as is with a seasoning of salt and chili powder. Yum!

So I looked up a few recipes online and I came up with one for which I had the most ingredients. The recipe calls for cucumbers, but instead I gave it a twist by adding some yellow corn for color and taste.

JICAMA PICO DE GALLO
Ingredients

I medium sized. peeled and diced raw jicama
1 green bell pepper, seeded and slivered
1/2 med.-sized mild onion, thinly sliced
1 c. sliced or diced cucumber and/or corn
1/4 c. olive oil
2 tbsp. white or red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. crumbled oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method
Combine jicama, green pepper, onion and cucumber. Pour olive oil and vinegar over vegetables and mix lightly with oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4-6 servings.

Viola!


Besides Jicama being highly nutritional and rich in fiber, it makes for a healthy meal. This closely resembles a water chest-nut and is slightly sweet and nutty like moi!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment