Friday, September 11, 2009

A Second Chance?


I've always had trouble sticking to one thing for too long. Apparently, genes don't distribute the same way every time. For as long as I can remember, my sister has been fixated on sports, and computer games.

Now, the sports I envy since I have not one sporting gene in my body. The computer games, not so much. Thus far, it was harmless enough - her fixation that is. Recently, she's got into something called Second Life. That's a creepy title to begin with if you're not a cat. It's this internet based game where you create an "avatar" of yourself, and this avatar of you can basically do whatever you want it to. Meet avatars of other people, dress in designer clothes, buy a monster truck, become a god, learn how to play Mancala, you name it.

One would think that if you really had this second persona, you'd do everything that you couldn't do in your actual life. No, not my sister. Apart from the fact that her persona has extremely skimpy clothing, it watches sports, and talks to other wierdos with online alter egos. And she can do this for hours. I exaggerate not.

I don't know if I should be overly concerned about this clothing situation, or lack thereof. The last time I passed by the computer, I could not stop myself from blurting - "Why is your second skin dressed like a slut?" To which she said.."It's called Second Life." Point taken I suppose.

I was talking to a good friend who works at a computer game company about this bizarre obsession the sibling has, and he said that tons of people do this, and get this - that some people have become millionaires playing this game. I cannot wrap my head around this astounding fact. In fact, I have a good mind to tell my sister to figure out how this happens so all of the time she spends on it could become potentially beneficial to me. Of course I expect a percentage for pointing her in *ahem* the right direction. My Mum is always getting after me to encourage her, and here I am - doing exactly that!

Maybe I should create a Second Life to blog for me. It might have something more worthwhile to say.

4 comments:

  1. We call mancala, channamane. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dudes, what is my name showing up as?
    btw, can i just say? "why is your second skin dressed like a slut?" hahaha!

    hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fowster - You're still signed into this blog with your blogger account, so your name is "Pssst!". Come back and post a comment from your regular gmail account I say!

    ReplyDelete