Monday, January 11, 2010

I've found maturity!

I was looking in the mirror the other day, and thought to myself.."Wow! my hair is a bit shinier where it wasn't before. That new conditioner may not have been such a useless purchase after all". On closer examination, the cause was determined to be what I think is my first grey hair. (Coming to terms with useless purchase..)

Living in a country that's obsessed against greying, sagging, wrinkling, and basically any other trapping that might suggest advancing age and being subjected to vast numbers of ads that each pimp a new product to help fight this dreaded occurrence, one would think it is the next big incurable disease. Tuck this, tighten that, lift this, touch-up that, pull this, smooth that, erase this, plump that..the list of action items is endless.

I was asked by someone last year if I'd start using anti-wrinkle cream when I hit 30. I certainly wasn't thinking about it..but this seems to be a hint of some sort. I suppose I can kinda see why it might be hard to accept that you can't be a nubile innocent forever, but that apart, I think there's a certain dignity to looking one's age. I mean, I don't want to look like the mother of 8 brats who's run to the ground and looks 60 when she's actually 28. That would suck. I think a few lines, a couple of wrinkles and a sprinkling of greys is perfectly acceptable. To me, it's a sign that I have arrived. In the league of adults, in the league of the dignified and stately, and that the wisdom that surpasses my years is finally out there for all to see, albeit with some peering and squinting on their part.

The other possibility is that marriage has not been kind to me. Hmm..no, I don't think that's the reason, though every time the spouse gets on my nerves I make it a point to rummage wildly through my head to pull out that one hair and say "SEE! See what you've given me in 4 years!?". He claims he can't see it and that I'm hallucinating about the pride of my entire head. Phooey to him. When the count changes to one black hair, I might be tempted to change my tune but for the moment, I'm going to revel in my new found maturity.

No comments:

Post a Comment