Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Smart Decision?

I am somewhat of a technological dinosaur. I have realized this and accepted it. My suspicion of gadgets could put someone's great-aunt from a remote rural village in second place. It's not that I don't appreciate the coolness of say a tablet, or a mobile device such as an iPad (wait, are they tablets too? :S). It's just that I see no real use for them in my life.

I could own an Apple TV which is hooked up to my iPad, iPod, iPhone and iDontknowwhatelse, but what is the POINT? So you can do rubbish things like look for Youtube videos of people doing rubbish things? It's all good fun, but why can I not just do that from my computer, watch TV on my TV and just use my phone to call or text people? Why on earth does it have to all be rolled up into one multi-functional wonder toy? Is there no such thing as job security in the gadget world? My laptop probably lives in fear every day of being refurbished, recycled or replaced by some swanky young thing with a size zero body that can do everything it does, and wax my legs.

The point is, everything has its place, or so I thought until a few weeks ago. I was the proud owner of a flip phone for the last 3 years, holding strong against the many, many recommendations to become one of those cool people that owns a smart phone. I'd take vicarious pleasure in waving my antiquated mobile in peoples faces whenever they brought their flashy touch-screen companions to dinner. I enjoyed the looks of sympathy and occasional disbelief as to why anyone would choose to hang on to such an outdated device.

Turns out, my phone didn't care too much for my support, and just gave up one day. No amount of poking and prodding would make it wake up. Throwing in the towel, I went to the store, since I was due for a phone upgrade anyway. The spouse had been dangling the advantages of a smart phone in my face for the past year, but I had stoutly refused to even consider such a thing! When I got to the store, I went straight to the non-smart section, determined to hold my ground. I was appalled at the crapulence of the devices on display. They looked tacky, poorly made and frankly, somewhat given up. After much ado, I finally caved and said "FINE, I'll get that bloody iPhone, but I'm not going to like it. It's making me spend all this money on a data plan I don't want, I don't plan to use and frankly, I think it will be horribly underutilized in my hands. Wait, why don't you take this iPhone and give me your current flip phone. It sounds like you want a smart phone, so this will solve both our problems, I said to the spouse." To which, pat came the response "I want to wait for the Nexxus II, not really interested in an iPhone." Sigh.

So, it was ordered, it came, protective covers were purchased, phone numbers were entered and I began using it. The first week, I decided not to do anything but make calls and send texts on it, just so it knew I was not going to be held prisoner by its supposed coolness. Then, one day, I texted my stylist asking for an appointment for a hair trim. We agreed on a time. Next thing I know, it's on my calendar, on my phone. Wait, what!? I didn't even do anything. So I texted her back and said, how did you do that? She said, oh I have an iPhone too, this is just one of those cool things you can do with it.

Over the next week, I shamelessly abandoned all reserve and began exploring my phone to discover, that it really was something else. I could click on the date and time in an email, and it would add it to my events, along with contact information and the address in the email. Auto.ma.ti.cally. I could video-call my friends with iPhones. I could text anyone in the world for free through an app! I even had my own personal assistant, and guess what, the Indian accent is NOT an issue. Siri needed some guiding, but she's pretty smart too!

I've finally begun to admit, out loud, that I think this iPhone business is rather awesome. *gulp* However, when my phone rang at work the other day, and 2 of my co-workers said simultaneously - Hey! is that yours? It sounds like a "REAL" phone! , I finally felt my phone angst leave. My ringtone sounds like a rotary-dial phone. :D I guess I'll always be a great-aunt at heart, but why not be an adventurous one?

7 comments:

  1. i'm still one of them users.... hanging on to a not so bad touch screen phone myself. the funny thing is its had its bad days - from the shit pot it accidentally fell into (dont worry there was no crap in it, lol!) to getting thrown around off a few feet, this phone hasn't let me down so far. i'm still like that with my desktop. haven't had the need to use a laptop. but not sure when i'll be sucked into this mad technologically dependent world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. The only reason I finally bought a laptop a couple of years ago is because I needed to work remotely. No worries on the shit-pot incident. I read in the bathroom so I have to take my phone in there and set an alarm so I don't accidentally spend an hour and end up being late for work. Sad, I know but there you are!

    Technology is great, but I feel like people adopt these devices regardless of their extent of use. I'm sure such a purchase can be easily justified in these times, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erm..Also confessing to the reading on my phone in the loo habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No better time or place to read! In fact, I think it's the only private space left in this world!!

      Delete
  4. :) Ditto, I still have my flip phone, one that is taped together so the battery cover doesn't fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I have one of those too, but I've given it a dignified retirement. I really enjoy reading your blog. You are a very entertaining writer!

      Delete