Friday, August 24, 2012

Making it Work

What is the point in writing a post stating why I haven't blogged in so long, if I'm just going to let 5 months go by before another one? My credibility is somewhat diminished I realize, but I have had a lot on my mind. Lucky for you, this will be a full blown download of all related and possibly un-related thoughts on the matter!

I had been wrestling with my career path for a while now, and kept putting off making a decision because it is so easy to rest in one's comfort zone, as little effort is required to coast. However, this coasting business was just taking me farther and farther away from the goals I had set for myself this year, and so I decided to take action.

I quit my job, and went freelance. I thought I'd be impoverished in a month, but thankfully it has not been that bad. Sure, there has been a dip in income, and I realize this means no new boots for fall and possibly no new clothes until next year, but that has not stopped the big spending.

Before you judge, let me clarify that all my expenses have been for the good of my business. Starting with a new laptop, for which I was able to wrangle an employee discount from an extremely nice friend of my Mother's, a few online courses to improve my skillz and legal software!

In addition to this extremely responsible behavior, I have also become lame. I bought a really nice dress and returned it because I felt guilty about the indulgence. It sucks being a grown up. It really does. Erm..maybe just being a poor grown-up - there are perks I wouldn't trade.

Anyhoo, I was talking to an acquaintance about said state of affairs, and the response was - "But your husband is earning no?" The nerve. As IF I would choose to justify why I need another dress! Plus, is a woman really supposed to be saying that to another woman? Where is the spirit of sisterhood, and encouraging one's independent spirit and not to mention, gumption!

While in my continuing state of anxiety about whether I can make this new self-employed situation work, I received a sign from heaven fixed under my wiper - the notice to your right. I certainly fit the requirements, and there is a promise of excellent pay! I am tempted to call that number because this all seems very legit and not shady at all. Maybe I should wait? Oh the dilemma!

The other thing that has kept me preoccupied is the appalling language in emails I receive from educated professionals - nationality no bar. Apparently it takes a lot more effort to type don't as opposed to dnt.

While I fully appreciate slang and the ever evolving nature of communication, I am one of those people who cannot bring myself to type l8r in a message and leave it there. I punctuate my text messages and Google chats.

Call me old-fashioned, but there is something wonderful about a beautifully worded email. As a professional courtesy, I think punctuation should be mandatory. Because guess what when you type like this with no separation of thoughts it becomes so hard to tell one thought or instruction from another and I have to read the email five times before it makes any sense and is clear about what this person is expecting me to help them with and i don't appreciate the lack of uppercase letters where appropriate either. Also, it is a waste of time! You are not paying me to read your mind, so use the keys that your fingers seem so determined to avoid - they don't bite.

I saw a glimmer of hope last week - I have been borrowing books from the library for a number of years and recently chanced upon Gyles Brandreth. The novel was a fictional murder mystery involving Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle as the detectives. It was an absolute pleasure to read high-quality English, and actually need a dictionary to learn words I had never heard of. I have made it my mission to track down the rest of these books, and buy them if necessary. Gyles' work is an oasis in a desert of poor language.

In other indescribably cute news - my Grandmum has been emailing me twice a month using her Kindle! She is officially cooler than me. Not only has she learned to use a digital reader, taught my other Grandmother how to use one, but is now writing to me like she used to when I was little - sans inland letter. Punctuation in her emails is strictly optional, but I am letting it go because she's inspiring. Reading her letters always puts a smile on my face.

In my next post - To take the pill, or not?



3 comments:

  1. lulz, dats a prty gud post! gd 2 hear frm u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post.
    One thing that didn't make sense to me... I thought women should encourage others to buy more clothes! I never understand the guilt complex.
    Oh... and you have one cool grandma!

    -Mohan

    ReplyDelete